Town edge derby

Enfield Town 2 Cheshunt 1

Town began the quicker of the two sides in this local derby at the QEII on Saturday, Muhammadu Faal and Ken Charles linking up well together from the start writes Aaron Patel. But the first real chance of the game fell for the Ambers; Dipo Akinyemi’s effort sailing high and wide. A Freddy Moncur corner was met by the head of Mo Camara, who had far too much time and space, but thankfully from a Town perspective his effort was held by Nathan McDonald comfortably. But it was a great chance for the visitors who really should really have gone ahead.

Ryan Blackman’s free kick was well hit but straight at Harry Girling in the Cheshunt goal around the twenty minute mark, but at this stage the game was fairly even. Shortly afterwards a brilliant Sam Youngs pass found Faal, whose close-range effort was well saved by the legs of Girling.

Down at the other end, a hit from Akinyemi was on target but once again held by McDonald. The former Dulwich man was proving to be a thorn in Town’s side during the opening period.

Town took the lead just before the half hour, after some great play from Charles down the left ended with him finding Faal in space; his rich vein of form in front of goal continued as he converted to give Town the lead, the ball inching over the line.

The visitors continued to have some good chances. A Moncur free kick was well hit but didn’t test McDonald unduly as a fairly quiet half came to a close.

Half-time: Enfield Town 1 Cheshunt 0

Within a minute of the restart Cheshunt were level. Daniel Akindayini sprung the offside trap, flew down the right, pulled a ball back into the box and it deflected into the net off the unfortunate Marc Weatherstone. However, seconds later Town restored their lead; Blackman’s left-footed shot was palmed by Girling into the path of Faal, who tapped in his and Town’s second.

Once again, despite the home side leading the visitors were still well in the hunt for an equaliser but could not find a cutting edge in the final third. Bobson Bawling did well down the left touchline and cut inside but his shot was superbly pushed away by Girling in the 63rd minute.

Town had a glorious chance to pull further clear in the 72nd minute, as Charles headed over from a couple of yards out from an accurate cross. Girling then saved a close-range effort from substitute Billy Bricknell with his feet; Cheshunt’s keeper once again keeping his side in the game.

With less than ten minutes to play, the game became feisty as both sides looked for another goal that could prove decisive. Nathan Livings came off the bench and soon tried his luck with a curling effort, but it sailed just off target. Town saw the game out without any further alarms.

Enfield Town: Nathan McDonald, Jon Muleba, Joe Payne, Scott Thomas, Marc Weatherstone, Glenn Wilson, Bobson Bawling (Billy Bricknell 69), Ryan Blackman, Ken Charles (Junior Mubiayi 86), Muhammadu Faal, Sam Youngs (Nathan Livings 75). Unused subs: Sam Hatton, Alex Read. Booked: Livings, Blackman.

Cheshunt: Harry Girling, Emmanuel Udoji, Ola Williams, Mark Hughes (Joe Re 64), Taylor McKenzie, Sean Cronin, Ethan Roberts, Mo Camara, Dipo Akinyemi, Freddy Moncur, Daniel Akindayini (Jayden Antwi 76). Unused subs: Ola Abitogun, Sammy Collins, Lewis Chambers. Booked: Camara, McKenzie.

Attendance: 431.


Date Time League Season
19/10/2019 3:00 pm Pitching In Isthmian League Premier 2019-20


Queen Elizabeth II Stadium
Queen Elizabeth II Stadium, Donkey Lane, Enfield EN1 3PL


Enfield Town2