Late Drama in Thrilling Derby Win

A late Lewis Taaffe goal against a strong Haringey side saw Town claim victory in a thrilling North London derby writes Charlie Baker.

With both sides looking to bounce back from defeat at the weekend, there was a cracking atmosphere from both sets of fans which was quickly translated onto the pitch. The visitors started the brighter, with full backs David Olufemi and former Towner Bobson Bawling causing some early problems for our defence. Our first chance came when Rian Bray headed inches wide from a cross, and minutes later Sam Youngs had a shot stopped by Boro keeper Tiernan Parker.

Town started to gain a grip on the game after struggling early on and were creating chances – this time Mo Faal’s looping cross was scrambled off the line. Haringey always posed a threat, however, and almost broke the deadlock themselves – Georgios Aresti bearing down on goal and firing just wide and Olufemi having his low drive saved by Nathan McDonald.

Town were beginning to get sloppy in possession and our visitors had even more chances to take the lead, as McDonald thwarted Aresti and saved again from the following corner. Our best chance of the half came just before half time – Lee Chappell’s half volley from the edge of the box brilliantly saved by Parker, as the teams went into the break level following a topsy-turvy half of football.

HT: 0-0

The second half began just as the first had ended, with high intensity and chances right from the off.
Faal was causing Boro problems just as he had done two seasons ago, but he couldn’t find the back of the net on this occasion as his low shot was gathered by Parker. Then, Lee Chappell once again came agonisingly close to being the surprise name to break the deadlock, as his 25-yard free kick smashed the underside of the bar before being scrambled away.
This breathtaking encounter was now even more open than before – Faal striking the woodwork for Town for the second time in as many minutes, while Boro raced down the other end and struck a free kick just wide.

But just as they had done in the first half, the visitors began to take control. Aresti, who could’ve had a hattrick, headed just wide after another flowing move. Roman Michael-Percil then missed possibly the best chance of the match – the Boro forward somehow missing an open goal from about two yards out, which provided a wakeup call for Town.

Lewis Taaffe was introduced to freshen us up and was quickly involved, having a curling shot well saved following a smart short free kick. Tensions were high, and just when it looked like we were heading for a goalless draw, the decisive moment came.

Town won a corner in the 92nd minute, and following a penalty box melee, Taaffe scrambled the ball home to spark joy and break Haringey hearts. The game could’ve gone either way, and could’ve been about 5-5, but we showed resilience against a skilful side to take all three points and move up to third in the table.
Enfield Town: McDonald, Chappell, Smith, Maja, Bray, Gyebi, Kiangebeni, Youngs (Taaffe), Cunnington, Faal (Joseph), Coker.

Subs Not Used: Kirwan, Muleba, Walsh

Attendance: 509



Date Time League Season
14/09/2021 7:45 pm Pitching In Isthmian League Premier 2021-22


Queen Elizabeth II Stadium
Queen Elizabeth II Stadium, Donkey Lane, Enfield EN1 3PL


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoals
Enfield Town011
Haringey Borough000

Past Meetings

P - P
Pitching In Isthmian League Premier

Enfield Town vs Haringey Borough

P - P
Pitching In Isthmian League Premier

Haringey Borough vs Enfield Town

Pitching In Isthmian League Premier

Haringey Borough vs Enfield Town

5 - 3
Pitching In Isthmian League Premier

Enfield Town vs Haringey Borough

KO 8 63 78 90 FT