Five-star Town

Enfield Town 5 Bishop’s Stortford 0

Just over a minute into the game, Town’s instant attack paid off; Lewis Taaffe picked out Ken Charles with an over the top ball, Charles’s first attempt was parried by Fred Burbidge in the Stortford goal, but the striker followed up to net his second in two games writes Aaron Patel.

A couple of minutes later, Town doubled their lead from an inswinging corner from the left which was nodded on by Dan Rumens, and Sam Youngs was first to the ball, heading in from close range to underscore a wonderful early start from the hosts.

Stortford had their first effort seven minutes in, when Ben Worman’s free-kick was swung in but Luke Callander’s attempt was blazed high and wide. Taaffe, who caused the Blues problems regularly, raced down the right once again, and his cross from deep just missed Charles. Both men were a thorn in the side of the Stortford defence early on. Town’s third was then added in the 15th minute; a move down right-side once again. This time Jon Muleba’s fine cross was met by the head of Billy Bricknell.

The visitors had a clear cut chance in the 18th minute, but Yasseir Nazor’s effort was dragged wide without troubling Nathan McDonald in the Town goal. Belatedly, Stortford at this point were slowly getting into the game and finding their feet.

Town once again put together a great sequence of play in the 22nd minute. Passes between Taaffe, Youngs and Bricknell eventually worked their way to Charles, whose effort was high and wide from just inside the box.

With half an hour played, the visitors had a number of corners and were beginning to come forward with some purpose. However, they could not create many clear-cut openings. Ryan Henshaw was booked by referee Gerry Heron in the 35rd minute following a collision.

Ten minutes from half-time, Charles doubled his tally and scored Town’s fourth: A long ball was held up by Bricknell, whose pass found the path of Charles who was sent one on one and he made no mistake, slotting the ball into the back of the net to give Town a 4-0 lead.

Two minutes before the break, James Potton was forced to come off after going down off the ball, seemingly getting his studs caught on the surface and twisting, he was replaced by Nathan Livings.

Half-time: Enfield Town 4 Bishop’s Stortford 0

Four minutes after the break, a Bishop’s corner was well delivered, the Town defence turned off for a split second, and Henshaw’s sliding effort went just wide of the post. Moments later, McDonald fumbled a ball which was only cleared to the edge of the area, and Henshaw again went close with a powerful shot.

Bricknell almost added a fifth for Town ten minutes into the half; quick feet worked a way into the Blues’ box, and a snap-shot was palmed away for a corner by Burbidge. Just before the hour mark, Charles went on a solo run and hit the ball sweetly from 25 yards out, but Burbidge held on well.

In the 67th minute, another great run and cross from Muleba found Charles, whose effort was cleared off the line. Veteran striker Jamie Cureton headed just wide from Nazor’s inch-perfect cross from the right and, in a moment which summed up the visitors evening – one of frustration – Luke Callander was red-carded after a dangerous challenge on Sam Youngs. The referee had no hesitation pulling the red card out of his pocket, and Blues’ joint manager Steve Smith admitted after the game that he thought the card was deserved.

A cute ball was played through by Youngs to Charles, who found himself in a one-on-one situation, but he placed his effort wide. The striker was in fine form all game, on and off the ball, and fully merited his Town man-of-the-match award.

Finally, five minutes before the final whistle, substitute Junior Mubiayi made it 5-0 after Alex Cathline’s initial effort was saved after he had brought down a lofted ball but Mubiayi made no mistake with the rebound.

With all the hard work done in the opening 45 minutes, Town’s performance, understandably, mellowed in the second period, but an empathic 5-0 win to open their campaign at home this season sent the fans home happy.

Enfield Town: Nathan McDonald, Jon Muleba, Joe Payne, Scott Thomas, Mark Weatherstone (c), Dan Rumens, Lewis Taaffe (Junior Mubiayi, 65), Sam Youngs, Billy Bricknell (Alex Cathline, 80), Ken Charles, James Potton (Nathan Livings, 43). Unused subs: Sam Hatton, Callum Ellesley.

Bishops Stortford: Fred Burbidge, Jack Thomas (William Mycroft-Edwards, 74), Sam Robbins (c), Ryan Henshaw, Alex Warman (Harry Morgan, 61), Jamie Cureton (Olly Miles, 80), Johnville Renee, Yassier Nazor, Mark Haines, Ben Worman, Luke Callander. Unused subs: Ben Sampayo, Kane Lowe. Booked: Henshaw, Mycroft-Edwards. Sent off: Callander.

Attendance: 372.


Date Time League Season
13/08/2019 7:45 pm Pitching In Isthmian League Premier 2019-20


Queen Elizabeth II Stadium
Queen Elizabeth II Stadium, Donkey Lane, Enfield EN1 3PL


Enfield Town5
Bishop’s Stortford0