Town fall short despite strong second half display

Enfield Town 1 Folkestone Invicta 3

A brace from Folkestone’s central midfielder Scott Heard pushed the Seasiders to within a point of top spot in the Isthmian League Premier Division as the visitors emerged with the spoils in a hotly contested fixture writes Jack Quantrill.

The first chance at the QEII fell to the hosts after 5 minutes. Roaming winger Bobson Bawling’s mazy run resulted in a pull the ball back to Towners’ talisman Mo Faal on the edge of the six yard box but defensive heroics prevented the number 10 from opening the scoring.

The next twenty minutes saw both sides threaten in attack, but Folkestone’s control of the game became firmer as Town resorted to long ball tactics.

The first goal came after a lapse in concentration after 25 minutes. Folkestone’s number 9 Ira Jackson was allowed to drive into the box at pace before unleashing a thunderous right footed strike that beat Nathan McDonald at his near post.

The home side had their misery doubled six minutes later as Invicta scored a soft second. The red and white stripes worked the ball well to left back Alfie Paxman, who promptly delivered a lofted cross that left Nathan McDonald stranded and clutching at the ball inches from his fingertips. The unmarked Scott Heard met the enticing cross at the back post to increase Folkestone’s advantage with ease.

Both sides had half chances before the break but an injury to midfielder Ryan Blackman after a suspect challenge from Paxman, for which he somehow saw yellow rather than red, sucked the rhythm out of the remaining minutes of the first half. Despite this, Town had few complaints at the break as they’d been a little lacklustre in the first half and hadn’t created too many chances.

Half-time: Enfield Town 0 Folkestone Invicta 2

Ten minutes after the break the Enfield front three linked up superbly to halve the deficit. Bricknell controlled a long ball and fended off the two centre backs before laying it back to first half substitute Ken Charles who played in Faal first time. Despite giving his man a couple of yards start, Faal got ahead of, skipper Callum Davies before rocketing a finish into the top left. Game on.

Just two minutes later the home side had a similar chance; this time Faal set up Bricknell who saw his dinked effort saved.  The 74th minute brought the penultimate chance of the game as Bawling was played in from a quickly taken freekick only to hit the post via keeper Henry Newcombe’s fingertips with a left footed effort.

A much improved Town continued to pile on the pressure, but it was the away side who scored the final goal of the game. After Town had thrown everyone forward for a 90th minute free kick. They lost out on the second ball, allowing Folkestone a clear path to goal. Scott Thomas’ goal line clearance kept out Jackson, but the ball fell kindly to Heard, who wrapped the game up with a neat finish.

Town bossed much of the second half and, on another day, may have gained a point, but the crucial damage had been done in the initial 45 minutes.

Enfield Town: Nathan McDonald, Sam Hatton (Brown 83), Joe Payne, Scott Thomas, Mark Weatherstone, Jon Muleba, Sam Youngs, Ryan Blackman (Charles 45), Billy Bricknell, Mo Faal, Bobson Bawling. Unused subs: Glenn Wilson, Junior Mubiayi, Samson Esan. Booked: Faal, Payne, Brown.

Folkestone Invicta: Henry Newcombe, Finn O’Mara, Alfie Paxman, Matt Newman, Callum Davies, Sam Hasler, Scott Heard, Ronnie Dolan, Ira Jackson, Jerson Dos Santos (Johan ter Horst 87), Keiron McCann. Unused subs: Johan ter Horst, Tim Roberts, Micheal Everitt, Nat Blanks. Booked: Paxman.

Attendance: 468.


Date Time League Season
16/11/2019 3:00 pm Pitching In Isthmian League Premier 2019-20


Queen Elizabeth II Stadium
Queen Elizabeth II Stadium, Donkey Lane, Enfield EN1 3PL


Enfield Town1
Folkestone Invicta3