Enfield Town 2 Kingstonian 1

Match report by Jack Quantrill

The QEII hosted an entertaining 90 minutes as the Town came from behind to take all three points from the team south of the river. Fans got an indication of the action to come in the second minute of the game as Kingstonian striker Corie Andrews got in behind the Town defence. Having peeled off into the left channel he found himself with an opportunity to strike at goal from a tight angle, but Natahn McDonald got down smartly to save the side footed strike.

From that incident, Town turned defence into attack with a high ball over the top to Billy Bricknell. Situated on the right flank Bricknell made his way inside and struck a low shot from a good position but Ks keeper Rob Tolfrey sprung across to his right with a crucial early save with his legs to keep the socres level.

Town had an impressive opening 15 minutes, looking the more organised of the two sides. Ryan Blackman was key in triggering a coordinated press that prevented the visitors from advancing the ball through the middle of the pitch with much regularity throughout the game.

Having had chances to open the scoring through Bricknell and Lyle Della-Verde in the first half an hour Town really should have made it 1-0 when Town’s right hand side showed great determination to win a couple of consecutive 50/50s through Josh Urqhart and then Della-Verde who in turn moved the ball onto Sam Youngs. With encouragement from the crowd the number 10 switched the play with a lancing ball to Jared Small who looked to be in behind the Ks defence. Small advanced into the box but appeared to wait for an opportunity to get the ball onto his right foot and the chance was gone.

The incessant rain appeared to get worse as Ks pressed Town for a spell and, in the 37th minute Adam Pepera, short of options, tried to play the ball back to McDonald but slipped in doing so and Corey Andrews, arguably Ks best performer on the night, stole the ball and calmly rounded the onrushing McDonald to slot home despite a last-ditch slide from skipper Marc Weatherstone.

Enfield responded well to the setback and a few minutes later Bricknell collected a half-clearance, found Small down the left who in turn drove an excellent cross into the penalty box finding an arriving Blackman, whose effort flew over the bar.

Half-time: Enfield Town 0 Kingstonian 1

Town wrestled back momentum five minutes into the second half. Della Verde, hugging the touchline, was played in by Scott Thomas and a neat turn away from the defender saw him earn a freekick. Having already tested the keeper from a dead ball in the first period, Della-Verde produced an excellent delivery whipped into the front post where Bricknell had stolen a march on his marker to nod home. An excellent set piece had set the Town up nicely for the remainder of the second half.

Josh Urqhart who defended diligently throughout and was particularly impressive with his distribution, nearly produced the moment of the game around the hour mark. Seeing keeper Tolfrey off his line he produced his best David Beckham impression and struck a free kick from halfway. The keeper rushed back, and fans held their breath, but the ball nestled onto the roof of the net having sailed no more than a yard over the top.

It was the right back who saved his side in the 71st minute, Ks right winger Kenny Beaney had got in down the flank and flashed a low delivery across the goal. With Tom Richards arriving at the back post Urqhart calmly headed back to the off balance McDonald.

After regrouping and dominating possession, the breakthrough came two minutes from time, thanks to another set piece. Della-Verde had been brought down by Ollie Cook on the by-line and duly stood over the ball looking for his second assist of the game. Town pushed bodies into the six yard box and Verde’s pacey delivery caused a close range scramble. Youngs, Bricknell and Weatherstone all had attempts before Urqhart made no mistake (Weatherstone later claimed his effort had crossed the line and no doubt there will be an official confirmation in due course).

In the dying embers of the game Town’s substitutes nearly turned on the style. Having cleared a Ks corner Percy Kiangebeni spun his marker on the right touchline and, galivanting away down the wing at lightning pace, he pulled the ball back to Junior Mubiayi who saw his effort saved by Tolfrey.

Enfield face Corinthian Casuals on the 17th as they look to make it three wins from three whilst Kingstonian will regroup and travel to 7th place Bowers and Pitsea on the same day.

Enfield Town: (4-3-3) 1. Nathan McDonald, 2. Josh Urqhart, 5. Marc Weatherstone(C), 6. Adam Pepera, 3. Lee Chappell, 4. Scott Thomas, 8. Ryan Blackman, 10. Sam Youngs, 11. Lyle Della-Verde, 9. Billy Bricknell, 7. Jared Small. Subs: 7. Small for 16. Mubiayi 66’, 10. Youngs for 14. Kiangebeni 74’, 11. Della-Verde for 15. Muleba 88’. Unused subs: 12. Jeremiah Gyebi, 17. Larry Asare. Booked: Blackman.

Kingstonian: 1. Rob Tolfrey, 2. Harry Osbourne, 3. Fabio Saraiva, 4. Simon Cooper, 5. Ollie Cook, 6. Tom Kavanagh, 7. Gus Sow, 8. Kenny Beaney, 9. Corie Andrews, 10. Kadell Daniel, 11. Tom Richards. Subs: 11. Richards for 14. Omarr Lawson 74’. Unused subs: 12. Mason Whitnell, 15. Tutu Henriques, 16. Juevan Spencer, 17. Teo Kurtaren.

Attendance 323.


Date Time League Season
13/10/2020 7:45 pm Pitching In Isthmian League Premier 2020-21


Queen Elizabeth II Stadium
Queen Elizabeth II Stadium, Donkey Lane, Enfield EN1 3PL


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoals
Enfield Town022

Past Meetings

0 - 0
Pitching In Isthmian League Premier

Kingstonian vs Enfield Town

KO 45 66 74 88 FT