Memorable Night On European Tour

BK Skjold 1 Enfield Town 4

Report By Andrew Warshaw

The rain lashed down relentlessly, at times turning to hail, the wind blew like crazy and it was bitterly cold.

But none of that could dampen the spirits of upwards of 200-plus Town fans who made the trip to Copenhagen to see us secure a resounding 4-1 win over Fenix Trophy holders BK Skjold on Tuesday night and take a massive step towards the Final Four in May.

Following our 3-1 victory in the reverse fixture in November, this was expected to be a far tougher challenge, with Skjold playing a far stronger side.

But we never gave them a sniff, roaring into a three-goal lead by halftime and running out comfortable winners, eliminating the Danes in the process.

Despite the atrocious conditions, the travelling Town faithful were in full voice, belting out song after song before finally taking refuge afterwards in the Skjold clubhouse where the ear-splitting celebrations went on long into the evening.

If the sheer number of Town fans did the club proud, the players certainly matched them.

It took us just 16 minutes to break through on Skjold’s artificial pitch, Marcus Wyllie linking up with Sam Youngs before the latter drew his defender, feinted and slotted home with a composed finish.

Amid the atrocious conditions, it was a credit to Town that they managed to move the ball so effectively and as halftime approached, we put the game to bed.

First a right-wing cross evaded the entire Skjold back line and Lewis Taaffe rifled home a terrific strike.  Then Marcus followed up his own headed flick with a piece of twinkle toes skill that gave the Skjold keeper no chance (pictured, celebrating with fans).

While we took our chances with clinical precision, Skjold scuffed theirs, playing some nice stuff box to box but lacking concentration at the back and composure in the final third, invariably missing the target either high or wide.

H-T 0-3

Town were forced into a halftime change, Taylor McKenzie suffering a groin issue and Mickey Parcell moving into central defence.

Inevitably we took our foot slightly off the gas but still managed to go further in front on 66 minutes through a trademark Sam Youngs glancing header from a corner.

Skjold finally got on the scoresheet with five minutes to go through a direct freekick but it was little more than a consolation.

With maximum points so far, one win from our final two group fixtures — both against Lllantwit Major — should in all likelihood get us over the line and seal an historic trip to Lake Garda for the Final Four. Four points certainly will.

“When the tournament was first introduced to me I didn’t quite get the magnitude of it for this club,” said Gavin Macpherson. “For a club at our level, Step 3 of non-league football, I defy any other club to do what we have tonight in terms of the phenomenal passionate support.”

“You can only look at this and say it’s probably unique given the publicity. It’s a milestone for a club that has come a long way in a short space of time. If we can get to the last four, we’ve a hell of a chance.”

Starting Lineup

Forster;  Parcell Tanner McKenzie Payne; Thomas, Youngs,  Taaffe, Adjei-Hersey,  Wyllie, Knight