Town Fightback Deserved More

Enfield Town 2 Wingate and Finchley 2

Report by Andrew Warshaw

Enfield Town staged a stirring second-half fightback yet will ultimately rue not taking all three points in a highly entertaining derby between fifth and fourth.

On a pitch passed playable only four hours before kick-off largely thanks to the work of our volunteers, it was a credit to both teams that they put on such a watchable encounter though that will be of little consolation to the pair of them – Wingate squandering a two-goal lead and Town doing more than enough to win the game.

Gavin Macpherson promised a better performance after Tuesday’s drab draw with Kingstonian and kept his word, going with a back three and making a string of changes that gave us a more cohesive look.

Mickey Parcell skippered the side in the absence of injured Scott Thomas, playing on the right of a three, while Lewis Taaffe took Scott’s place in defensive midfield and Jonathan Hippolyte was given a start up front.

Dylan Adjei-Hersey and Herson Alves also came into the side but in front of a healthy crowd of almost 650 – including a noisy throng of Dave Bryant’s special guests (inset) –  we didn’t get off to the best of starts.

Town have conceded some questionable penalties of late and there was another soft one as Taylor Mackenzie was penalised for a push after just seven minutes and Anointed Chukwu made no mistake from the spot.

Town’s response was immediate as Blues keeper Ben Goode came off best in a one on with  Marcus  Wyllie, only for Hippolyte to somehow screw the rebound wide.

It looked as though Marcus had left his scoring boots at home as three more  presentable chances came and went, the last of them drilled inches wide after a fabulous passing movement.

But the visitors, marshalled at the back by Ben Frempah and swift on the counter-attack, continued to pose a threat.

Rhys Forster saved superbly from Elliot Long and three minutes before the break, the Blues doubled their lead.  A slip by Mackenzie allowed Mathew Achuba to find Zack Newton who produced a sublime first touch before firing past Forster.

H-T 0-2

Town now had a mountain to climb on the rain-lashed surface but came out with all guns blazing and quickly reduced the deficit as Marcus showed that class is permanent  with a moment of magic, taking the ball on his chest before unleashing an unstoppable volley in a single movement (pictured).

Now there was only one team in it, aided by the fact that Frempah, after needing lengthy treatment, at last looked vulnerable.

Alves and Adjei-Hersey both went close before, on 73 minutes, we finally broke through again as the quick-thinking Youngs  outfoxed the Wingate defence to steer home Wyllie’s left-wing cross.

As we pushed for the winner that would have enabled us to leapfrog our opponents,  Wingate clung on though it needed an outstretched leg by Forster at the other end to keep out Long after the otherwise impeccable Youngs was uncharacteristically robbed in possession.

“Early in the season we ran, we harried and we hassled and the change of system today allowed us to regain some of those energy levels,” said Gavin.

“We all recognise that in recent weeks we let the fans down and obviously I’m disappointed with the result today because we deserved to win the game handsomely.”

“There was a clearly foul on Youngy in the build-up to their second goal but we can only control what we control.  I never thought at half time the game was over. We played a very good team today and at times made them look ordinary.”


Forster; Parcell, Mackenzie, Tanner; Adjei-Hersey (Onyeagwara, 85),  Taaffe (75), Youngs, Alves, Payne; Wyllie, Hippolyte (beckles-richards 65)