That’s more like it

Corinthian Casuals 0 Enfield Town 3

Report by Andrew Warshaw

Enfield Town got back to winning ways on Saturday as we comfortably dispatched relegation-threatened Corinthian Casuals in what was a must-win game to get us back on track after recent disappointments.

Despite a couple of fresh injuries, we deservedly took the points against a side for whom another defeat meant the departure of the manager who was shown the door almost immediately afterwards.

There was a determination and enthusiasm about Town straight from the off, with Sam Youngs moving back into a holding position and Mo Camara and Lewis Taaffe further forward.

Any nerves the players might have felt were settled after just eight minutes as we went in front, aided in part by home goalkeeper Callum Coulter. A poor clearance was pounced on by Camara whose curling effort came back off the woodwork and was finished off by Khale da Costa for his second goal in as many games.

Simba Kudiywa shot into our inside netting but most of the attacking was in the opposition’s half and Taaffe, frequently finding space near the back stick, had one shot cleared off the line and half hit another  when racing unmarked into the box. Thankfully Lewis was not seriously hurt when clattering into the flimsiest of perimeter fences at one point.

We did have a serious let-off when Joe Halsey put a great chance wide but just after the half-hour mark we doubled our lead when Jake Cass got to the ball before Coulter who had no option but to bring him down.

It was a clear spotkick and Jake did what he does best by smashing the penalty into the roof of the net.

It was almost three when successive flicked headers from Cass and Adam Cunnington set up Johnville Renee who bent his effort just over.

McDonald had to be alert to palm an accidental back-header by James Richmond away for a corner before Casuals’ Shaun McAuley lashed inches wide. But the hosts couldn’t shoot straight and we were well worth our halftime lead.

H-T 0-2

A grimacing Cunnington had to stagger off early in the second half but we continued to pose the greater threat as Da Costa dragged his shot just wide after more fine work by Cass whose hold-up play was excellent all afternoon.

There then ensued a brief halt in play as the referee intervened following a complaint by Nathan that he had been slapped by a couple of frustrated Casuals behind the goal.

Thankfully the incident wasn’t serious and a steward was put in place to avert any more disturbances.

Substitute Andre Coker and Cass both had further efforts to extend our lead before linking up to make the game safe with a gorgeous goal on 70 minutes.

Coker cleverly dummied his marker when collecting a raking Lewis Knight pass, played a one-two with Cass and dinked the keeper with a sublime finish (pictured).

Knight preserved the clean sheet with a fantastic double block late on, much to the delight of the travelling Town faithful, who made the trip despite one of the least enjoyable car journeys at the best of times being made all the longer by the train strike.

With a rapidly improving Herne Bay to come next Saturday, followed by the toughest run-in of all the playoff contenders,  Andy Leese was a satisfied man after a professional job in the fourth of five successive away league games.

“Pleased to see us defending better today and taking some of the chances we created,” Andy said. “They didn’t really trouble us in the second half after a change of shape.”

“We had some better performances today and it was good to have Cass back fit.  It was important to win with everybody else around us winning.  The result helped our goal difference which will be important in a few weeks’ time. Hopefully this restores some confidence to the group for the remaining games.”

Town: McDonald; Renee, Richmond, Knight, Payne; Taaffe, Youngs, Kamara, Da Costa (Della-Verde 73); Cass (Wyllie, 82), Cunnington (Coker, 56)