Town Keep Gate Shut

Enfield Town 2 Margate 0

Report From Andrew Warshaw

A first-half brace was enough for Enfield Town to see off lowly Margate and move into December in third spot, an encouraging eight points clear of the first side outside the playoff places.

But for the opening 15 minutes when the visitors threatened an upset, we ran out comfortable winners in front of 500-plus fans in freezing conditions despite several starters still suffering from the flu bug that has ripped through the camp.

After Margate wastefully failed to make their early promise count, fluffing a couple of presentable chances, Town took the lead against the run of play.

Birthday boy Mickey Parcell’s delicious cross was met by Sam Youngs who, with his back to goal, hooked the ball into the corner with an acrobatic finish (pictured).

Gate should have levelled when danger man Olly Box beat the offside trap but couldn’t beat Rhys Forster who made an outstanding stop.

It proved a decisive miss. On 25 minutes Reece Beckles-Richards rode three challenges as he needled his way into the box and toe-poked the ball home to double Town’s lead.

From then on, apart from a Ben Greenhalgh curling effort, we were rarely threatened, the pacey Box having gone off injured before halftime.

 H-T 2-0

Margate’s poor decision making in the final third had cost them dearly and they were fortunate not to fall further behind by the finish. To add to their woes, former Towner Lewis Knight was given the bird by those behind the goal when substituted midway through the second half.

Marcus Wyllie, one of those under the weather, appeared to have made the game by lashing in a third goal, only for the offside flag to be mysteriously raised.

And there were further attempts from Ollie Knight, whose curling effort was just off target, and a Joe Payne 20-yard screamer that was a whisker away.

In the dying moments, Parcell almost scored a birthday special as his jinxed his way into the area, only for Harry Seaden to ruin the script by pulling off a last-ditch save.

After seeing his side keep a much-needed clean sheet and, importantly, manage the game out, Gavin Macpherson was pleased with the application.

“Some of them were still suffering and Jimbo was ready to come off at halftime so I’m absolutely delighted,” said Gavin. “We were running on empty yet controlled the game for large periods.”

“After the couple of weeks we’ve had when the level  dropped, partly because we didn’t have the personnel in the right positions with square pegs in round holes, it was a good day at the office.”


Forster; Parcell, Okotcha, Richmond, Payne (Bailey, 84); Adjei-Hersey (Taaffe, 64), Thomas, Youngs, Knight; Wyllie (birch, 87), Beckles-Richards